Birdblog

A conservative news and views blog.

Name:
Location: St. Louis, Missouri, United States

Monday, March 13, 2006

Demodogs, Liberal Squirrels, and Republicats

Regular readers of Birdblog are aware that I have two cats; a young Bombay named Blackberry and a 10 year old butterscotch tabby named Goccia. These little fellows have radically different personalities, and came out of very different backgrounds. I found Blackberry outside a duplex my employer manages; he had been abandoned by his owner when she was evicted. He was hungry, cold, thirsty, and attached himself immediately to me. I was going to take him to the Humane Society, but quickly changed my mind, and he has been with us ever since. We adopted Goccia from the Humane Society. He had been dropped off by the family of an elderly widow (or so the counselor at the HS believed) who had gone into a nursing home. When we first saw him he looked like he had lost his only friend (which, indeed, he had). We had wanted to get a young female cat so Blackberry wouldn`t be alone all of the time; we ended up bringing this older male home instead.

The battle for dominance between the two boys was long and painful, and it took Goccia a long time to warm to us. (He just wanted to go home.) He`s a great member of our family now.

The problem is, Goccia is a Democat! He hates George Bush, and leaves the room if Bush comes on the television. In fact, he gets rather peevish with ME when I speak about politics. He is sweet but requires considerable assistance; he won`t drink water from a bowl, but requires me to give it to him from the faucet, or he goes thirsty (sounds like a pure Democat to me!) He is very clingy and dependent, which is cute in a cat (but not so cute in a grown adult human.) He has an appalling lack of gratitude, with an entitlement mentality.

Blackberry, on the other hand, is a solid conservative; we received a mailing from John Kerry prior to the `04 election with a picture of Lurch enclosed, and Blackberry shredded it! He rubbs up against me whenever I discuss politics, and he is a self-reliant, proud, independent cat. He lives with us by choice, and he pulls his own weight! If I ask him to guard the house he will patrol every couple of hours to make sure all is well. He keeps a watchful eye on Goccia, to make sure he doesn`t get out of line. He wakes my wife if she sleeps too late. He always helps me whenever I`m engaged in a project, being careful to observe any mistakes. In short, he`s a terrific business manager. He earns his keep.

Which is why a piece by Shawn Macomber brought a smile to my face; Shawn had reviewed a faux childrens book some time back, in which a cat named Russell was a Republican while his dog friend Benny was solidly a Democrat. This was, of course, very much tongue-in-cheek, and it infuriated the left! (The author stated clearly that it was intended for adults.) Now, a moonbat Democrat has written a real childrens book designed to advance wacky liberal ideology.

For example, Shawn states:

Much time has been spent (rightly, in my opinion) mocking the new children's book, Why Mommy is a Democrat, about a single mom squirrel teaching her little baby squirrels liberal orthodoxy. Sample: "Mommy makes sure children can go to school, just like Mommy does."


So, what`s the point? This illustrates that: 1.Democrats are crybabies. (The Democrats on the bus go wha wha wha!) 2.Some people will politicize anything. 3.Cats rule and dogs drool!

Which are unfair characterizations; I have a Democat and a Republicat. Dogs do indeed drool, and may all be Democats, and cats do indeed rule (anyone who has owned one knows who is boss!) but there is clearly a sharp political divide among cats!

Oh, and bear in mind, cats often eat squirrels!

|

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

A politically divided house? Love it..

7:25 PM  
Blogger TJW said...

Me thinks you may be treading dangerous ground here.
3.Cats rule and dogs drool! Palease!

Next I suppose you are going to try telling me that the three stooges are funny!

3:30 PM  
Blogger Alnot said...

My dog Asher rules the cats. They have to sneak in to be fed and then only if he allows it. Being a long haired Blonde Chihuahua that is smaller than all of them including the female I wonder how he manages such dominance.
BTW The Haloscum black hole ate my comment on your latest post. I agreed that a koolaid drinker I am not. Although an occasional lemonade on the rocks is not too bad.

7:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com