Birdblog

A conservative news and views blog.

Name:
Location: St. Louis, Missouri, United States

Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Beefy Comments

Below are a couple of nice comments about my last piece at the American Thinker:



GREAT ARTICLE. Why is that these cults think that Americans are so dumb. Prior to beef roaming the range there were as many buffalo antelope and elk roaming these same ranges. I propose to you that it become a scientific fact that dinosaur flatulence led to their extinction due to green house gases....

Learner


Some time ago, I became intrigued by the idea of comparing the human emission of CO2 through breathing with that produced by an automobile. Instinctively we'd consider the comparison ridiculous - how could a human's CO2 emission possibly be in the same league as an automobile? But of course, a human breathes 24/7, and the number of cars operating in a given area on a given day is far smaller than the number of humans in the same area, and cars only operate a few hours per day at most.

Anyhow, in a former life 35 years ago, I was a physicist (I've been a CPA subsequently). So I did some back of the envelope calculations, based on the average input of air per breath, the exhaled CO2 per breath, etc.. and came up with an average exhaled grams of CO2 for a day per adult. Then I asked a chemistry professor friend of mine to do the same for the complete combustion of a liter of gasoline. I then made some reasonable assumptions on the number of miles per gallon, and miles per year etc..

Unfortunately, I long ago lost track of the figures. But I distinctly recall that whatever they were, they were reasonably close over a year. By reasonably close, it's possible the car produced ten times the CO2 of a person. But then figuring the relative population of cars and people, I came up with the interesting result that China, with 1.2 billion people, and relatively few cars could be producing more CO2 than the US with its 300 million people and relatively more cars per capita.

The obvious conclusion was for people either to stop breathing, or at least breathe slowly - no health club workouts, jogging, biking etc..

Maybe you could find a chemist who's up to the challenge.

Please leave my name and email address off anything which might subsequently get Googled.

Anonymous

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com