Birdblog

A conservative news and views blog.

Name:
Location: St. Louis, Missouri, United States

Tuesday, March 01, 2005

I`m Back

Hi everyone! I just got back from my trout fishing trip, and am really pooped from days of endless beer, fried foods, little sleep, and fishing, fishing, fishing. It was really a nice break, and a heck of a fun trip.

We had 8 people total; 5 of us drove down in my friend Dan`s new van early, and three followed. We had movies going in the van, and we stopped at a microbrewery in the wilderness on the way. This place was called the Little Yeoman Brewery, and it was literally in the middle of nowhere. The brewery consisted of two small shacks and a walk in cooler. The owner poured us (free) beers and insisted we sit outside with him, where he proceeded to roll his own cigarettes while telling us long stories about the brewery. It was something out of the 19th century! The beer was really good, too!

Our resort sat on the North Fork White river in Salesville, Arkansas just below the dam for Norfork Lake. It`s a beautiful river, cold and swift (thanks to the hydroelectric plant at the dam). We had an entire house to ourselves, with cable t.v. and three kitchens (but no phone). The second half of our party lost their directions and couldn`t reach us by cell phone (no service) so drove around aimlessly for hours looking for us. In one of those small miracles the drove past us just as I was looking out the window. We flashed the lights and they stopped.

The weather was magnificent, the fish were biting, and I came home fat(ter), tanned, and happy! Great trip!

On a sadder note, we stopped for lunch at a Subway sandwhich shop in Houston, Mo. A woman and her son were in buying sandwhiches, and left minutes before we did. We piddled around a bit, then left at our leisure. About a mile down the road we came upon a terrible accident; the woman who had been in Subway had a terrible crash. She was laying in her car and not moving. I fear she was dead. Her child was sitting outside of the car with a piece of metal sticking out of his face. The ambulance arrived on the scene just as we pulled up, so we moved on. Had we been in a bit more of a hurry we could have been the ones killed in that accident! Please say a prayer for that woman and her family, and for the people in the other car (who were also injured).

Anyway, I had a great time, but am glad to be home! You may now resume your regularly scheduled reading!

|

3 Comments:

Blogger BobG said...

Welcome home, good to have you back.

5:44 AM  
Blogger Aussiegirl said...

Loved the description of your trip. Terrible news about that woman and her son. Prayers for them -- there but for the grace of God, etc. Et in Arcadia Ego --
We none of us know the hour of our passing -- better to live our lives to the fullest each and every day.

Welcome back -- Aussiegirl

7:35 PM  
Blogger r said...

Hey Tim. I think I've been here once before, yes?

Anyway, I see you have me blogrolled. Thank you :D I will reciprocate in the morning (when I feel like waiting for all the rebuilding).

I mentioned my husband is from STL and we lived there, right?

Trout! My goodness, I am salivating. We miss fishing so badly.

Houston? That's right around where I graduated high school from. Were you on the Jack's Fork?

Prayer said for family in the wreck. I find those situations surreal...

9:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com