Birdblog

A conservative news and views blog.

Name:
Location: St. Louis, Missouri, United States

Monday, June 06, 2005

Medicine Show Academics

When I was in college at St. Louis University, I had a very interesting American history professor; he was a natural storyteller and realist. He also liked to poke fun at academia, and he would regale his students with stories about the pseudo-intellectualism he had encountered. For instance, he had been the principle at a high school and had to take a continuing ed course to keep his certificate current. Now, anyone who has taken an education theory course knows it is a semester-long Bull Session. My teacher, who was very busy, had a presentation due, but hadn`t had time to prepare anything. It was show time!

He carted out an overhead projector (Educrats love overhead projectors) and proceeded to draw overlapping circles while narrating about a fictitious ``concentric circular theory of education``. He made up the entire presentation-and he received an A!

This article (which was posted by Thomas Lifson at the American Thinker) is a classic example of ``academics`` (read: medicine show barkers) needing to justify their endowments. Read it here at your own peril; you may suffer an aneurysm trying to figure out what is being discussed!

|

1 Comments:

Blogger Aussiegirl said...

Tim -- I love this - it reminds me of a little stunt I pulled in a freshman English class way back when. We were studying modern poetry, and there was a section on "concrete poetry" - which seemed to be kind of a kid's game of writing a sentence like: The frog jumped out of the pond -- and the word "frog" was placed higher than the other words -- (get it? get it?) The bearded and sandaled prof solemnly told us that the purpose of concrete poetry was to elicit a reaction from the audience and we were all instructed to come up with our own example. Well, I thought this was about the biggest bunch of bullhockey I'd ever heard, and I wasn't about to waste my time typing something like raindrops, dropping down the page, etc. So I simply took a sheet of blank paper and submitted it as my "poem". When the time came the poems were all laid out on a table at the front of the room and the class paraded around the poems to gauge reaction to the various efforts. Well, needless to say, mine got a lot of reaction -- that was the whole point right? The prof was really mad -- he demanded to know who did this? I told him it was my project and then proceeded to explain that I was making a statement about figure vs. ground -- and how we pay attention to the figure, but fail to appreciate the ground of something. (In reality of course, I was making my statement of protest at how stupid the whole idea was). Well -- to my chagrin, and a little embarrassment -- he immediately retreated and gazed at me with newfound respect and awe -- and seemed really impressed and taken aback. Thus -- my career as a modern artist was prematurely brought to an end, as I realized with horror how easy it was to fool someone. I've always felt vaguely guilty - but after his impressed reaction -- could I really admit to him that I was playing a joke on him? That would have been too cruel.

9:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com