Birdblog

A conservative news and views blog.

Name:
Location: St. Louis, Missouri, United States

Tuesday, November 07, 2006

City Thugs Try to Strongarm the County Prosecutorial Candidate

Yesterday, in an article in the American Thinker, I trashed the Democratic leadership here in St. Louis, and was particularly hard on Mayor Francis Slay, who I smote with savage vigor for his dunderheaded policies. This morning I was at work returning phone calls and watching people coming and going at the polling place across the street from our office when in walks the Honorable Francis Slay, Mayor of the City! Quite frankly, had I not just used the restroom I would probably have rested messily there at my desk! I expected to see a dozen Municipal police in riot gear with billyclubs drawn follow him in, and frantically tried to remember if my medical deductible had been met. I slunk down in my chair and pretended to be on an important call.

Fortunately, the Mayor had gone to the polls to vote, and was simply dropping by to schmooze with my boss (a politician lives by the schmooze) and I was very grateful when the man left. Not that I wouldn`t have told him to his face what I had written, but it could be very bad for business to anger the chief executive of our prime territory. The City could make life miserable for us if they wished, nitpicking our properties and harassing us in numerous ways. I didn`t want to cause my employers that kind of grief...

At least I know I`ll still have a job tomorrow.

I am now a candidate in TWO races; I wrote in my own name for State Rep, and my bud 7lb. Dave wrote me in for County Prosecutor. I still own property in St. Louis County, so I will gladly accept my new position if elected. Now, there`s that little matter of not being an attorney, but I`m sure I can find a way around that. I was a juror in a trial once, maybe that counts?

If Slay had tried to strongarm me, my candidacy for Prosecutor could have come in handy!

(For those of you interested, St. Louis City is not a part of St. Louis County; it seceded from the County during the 19th Century because the municipality grew tired of paying most of the taxes to support the entire area. St. Louis City is it`s own county and maintains dual offices for everything, as required by law. It`s often very difficult to explain to customer service reps on the phone that I don`t live in St. Louis County but the City of St. Louis-they are never able to grasp that!)

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com